Updated Spambot Countermeasures

Fox Parker
Colonel
Colonel

Updated Spambot Countermeasures

Post by Fox Parker »

Since I'm getting rather tired of deactivating spambot accounts, I've updated our account registration countermeasures from 3d Image to reCaptcha. I have used reCaptcha with great results on other sites. Here's hoping it performs as well here.

I understand some people have issues with reCaptcha, but the great thing is you can hit the refresh on it's little module to try and get something you can figure out.

I had to do something, as it was only a matter of time before one of these bot accounts started spamming. They were successfully defeating the 3d Image module, using a valid (yet clearly generated) email address, and also successfully using the activation link in the activation email. Worse than just spamming us, many times these bots troll whatever forums they are allowed to read for information that its users may think to be secure from non-members. Most commonly they look for e-mail addresses to add to spam lists.

If you hear of anyone having any trouble registering, direct them my way or let me know yourself and I'll see what I can do to help.
Col. Fox Parker
4th Regulan Hussars
Ryerson Military District
Knight Lieutenant - Knights of Regulus
House Marik, Free Worlds League Military
Fox Parker
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Updated Spambot Countermeasures

Post by Fox Parker »

Updated again to change the question a bit after a bot got through this morning.
Col. Fox Parker
4th Regulan Hussars
Ryerson Military District
Knight Lieutenant - Knights of Regulus
House Marik, Free Worlds League Military