Clan vs IS damage

General discussion not limited to, nor excluding, MWO. No spam.
Javenri
Corporal
Corporal

Clan vs IS damage

Post by Javenri »

Hello everyone. I decided to test how does mechs perform in the battlefield comparing Clan vs. IS mechs. The method I used is the following:

-I played matches only in solo drops. I recorded 60 games in total, taking a screenshot at the end of each match.
-From the screenshots, I recorded the total number of IS and Clan mechs as well as calculated the damage each side did in total (regardless if they were on wining or loosing team). I excluded any matches that a player had 0 damage since I couldn't be sure if he was afk or whatever.
-By dividing the total damage of each side by their corresponding numbers I calculated the average damage per match for each side. Additionaly I repeated the process for the total number of matches.

Here are the total numbers I came up with:

-Number of matches recorded: 60
-Number of IS mechs: 800, number of clan mechs: 640
-Total damage for IS: 207,682, total damage for clans: 205,752
-Average damage for IS: 259.6, average damage for clans: 321.5
-Number of kills for IS: 474, number of kills for Clans: 510

Here are some interesting points that are derived from individual match analysis:

-On 60 matches, Clans outdamaged IS on 47 matches, 1 match was a draw and on 12 matches IS outdamaged Clans.
-It seems that IS mechs do better when less Clan mechs are present in a game. On the first 33 matches, IS mechs were 40 more than clans (416/376) and were outdamaged by 85 points average damage. On the next 27 matches, IS mechs outnumbered Clans by 120 (384/264) and the average damage difference dropped to 32 points of damage (still clans leading).

My conclusions are that Clans mechs have a clear advantage of both damage and kills over IS mechs. The fact that IS mechs do better damage when less Clan mechs are present is not good when bringing CW in mind. I only wish PGI would publish some official numbers regarding each mech (average damage/kills per match, games played, etc) since they would be undisputable evidence of each mech's performance.
mp00
Lieutenant Sr. Grade
Lieutenant Sr. Grade

Re: Clan vs IS damage

Post by mp00 »

Nice work on putting together those stats. Many factors could change that depending on how you look at it..

Tonnage differences? Other then the arctic cheeter you rarely see clan lights/mediums while IS a lot of people still pilot several lights/mediums.
Hero/champion mechs?
ECM mechs?
Trial mechs?

I do agree that clan mechs do have a distinct advantage, I would put my money on the player with the clan mech over IS, but only PGI has real stats and I highly doubt they will ever release those.

Oh and they did release some stats on one of the events.. think it was tukyyid
Javenri
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Clan vs IS damage

Post by Javenri »

Tonnage differences are not relevant since in many games light and mediums outdamage heavies and assaults. Besides, these are real games; if players play mostly Arctic Chetach it is because they can do well in that. In any case, I believe that the number of games (60) is enough to iron out any differences in tonnage, skill, misfortune, etc. and allow for some safe conclusions.

I am quite certain that statistics per mech (available of course only to PGI) would show huge differences in damage output and kills on certain mech models. PGI is the only one who can use these data and make something useful with them. The reason is if they want to (I seriously doubt). It seems that all game companies follow the easy road to profit; create someting OP (a class, a skill, a weapon, etc) so people will see the meta and go spend their money on it. After milking enough money, they nerf it in the name of "game balance". The bad thing is that they cause grief to all those that didn't buy it on the first place and cry "OP". Grief comes also to the ones that did buy it and feel cheated after the nerf. That way all players fell bad, one way or another.