Meet your recruitment officer Tomman

Interested in joining? Find information and talk about it here.
Tomman
Captain
Captain

Meet your recruitment officer Tomman

Post by Tomman »

I think I will tell all of you at once my story rather than confusing myself with who knows what about me.
Me and my boys
Me and my boys
First things.... I am legally blind, that is correct, blind. I have a condition called keratoconus, that causes my cornea's to thin over time then become misshapen. The only "cure" for this is corneal transplants, which I have had one. It was just before my son's accident and as a result of doing CPR on him I severely damaged my new cornea so I actually see worse through that eye than the non-transplanted eye. I have been working toward a computer programming degree since 1999, but never managed to finish it do to life getting in the way (most recent attempt for example was foiled by losing my eye sight). I am a bit of a Jack of all Trades, though again my eyes limit what I am capable of doing these days.
My family
My family
Which brings me to..... My family. I am married and have been since 1999 to a wonderful young woman. Together we have 2 boys, ages 6 and 3. My oldest is a handful, but is a normal 6 year old. My youngest has special needs stemming from his accident. My wife is a stay at home caretaker of us useless disabled people.... ;) She really is what has kept our family going since I lost the majority of my sight.

Which then leads to.... Thomas's accident. He slipped and fell in the bath tub 11-11-11, I did 20 minutes of CPR before the ambulance arrived. He was transported to the nearest hospital stabilized then transported to a larger hospital for care... his total time receiving CPR for the night was 67 minutes. He spent 3 days in that hospital before being transported to Children's Mercy Hospital in KC via aircraft. He would spend a total of 63 days there (that is a total of 66 days between the two hospitals), 29 of those days were in the PICU, 7 of those on a heart/lung bypass machine (ECMO for those of you technical people). When he came home he was VERY weak and unable to do many of the things that we take for granted in even a newborn. He has made quite a miraculous recovery with time and LOTS, and I do mean LOTS of therapy. Though he still has quite a way to go.

Well that is me in short.

Here are a couple of links to help you find some more about me on the WWW.

Link to my son's story:

http://www.fourstateshomepage.com/story ... KlZn9eVEgQ

Also you can find out more about him at:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasperkins

The second link requires a email to access it is only for security purposes and is not disclosed to anyone.

My facebook (just don't expect me to look here often):
https://www.facebook.com/scott.perkins.7792
Cpt. Tomman
4th Regulan Hussars
Ryerson Military District
Recruitment Officer
House Marik, Free Worlds League Military